February 16, 2011 1 Comment
Through my involvement in Characters of Egypt, which is a non-profit festival aiming to ounite tribes from all over Egypt and provide them with a platform to share their cultural expressions as well as cooperate for their development and promote sustainable tourism in Egypt, I was sent this statement that the Bedouins of Sinai released yesterday. I urge everyone to share it and for media platforms to air and publish it. In the new Egypt that we are developing now we need to include members of the tribal communities that have been marginalized under the rule of the last government. Below you will find the video with the statement as well as the English translation.
From the coalition of the families and tribes of Sinai, after mentioning god. During the Egyptian revolution that removed the head of the corrupt Egyptian regime and under it’s sky and prevalence that we show all respect, loyalty and appreciation to it and all those who have given their effort, time and lives to achieve it. We particularly thank those who ensured its safety, those who participated in the first spark to start it and those who died for it in the square speaking of honesty, change and freedom.
On Tuesday the 15th of February, 2011, we had a meeting in Wadi Watir in Nweiba and decided on the following:
- To support the demands of the revolution completely. We invite all our men to participate in the revolution next Friday the 18th of February 2011 in Tahrir Square to support the revolution and its demands
- To ensure the safety of our country as well as promising to protect its eastern borders and continue the project of building a democratic country
- After we were forced aside from all the central points of the revolution and centers of authority for more than 45 years, 15 of those years due to the Israeli occupation of our country and the rest under the rule of the corrupt government. During which we were subjected to the biggest operation of security breach in our history like many incidents similar to these around the world. Due to this there were many arrested and detained, many of them from our tribes. All this happened in the complete lack of any real development projects to support Sinai’s nature and our peoples’ needs. That is why we have been having demands that we made and supported in all meetings, conferences and through various means of struggle and protest that we have done in the past to ensure the end of this corrupt regime
These are the demands of the Sinai tribes:
- The prosecution of those who killed our people, who are more than 230 martyrs who were killed by live ammunition by the police force, and providing the victims’ families with the appropriate compensation for their loss
- Ending the emergency status and immediate release of all those detained
- Canceling all military provisions and exceptions that are put on our sons and daughters and canceling any judgements without trials that are fabricated
- Producing official ownership documents for our lands that we own and live in since thousands of years
May peace be upon you and long live the revolution